Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Welcome To My World

My name is Jessica, I am 19 years old and just got back from a week long trip to New York City.

You're probably thinking "ahh just another crazy kid going to talk about her shopping exploits and boy problems"

But, my friend, you are wrong. 

You see, I was born and raised in the FLDS cult, religion, belief whatever you call it. If you have heard of Warren Jeffs you know about the marriages to girls 13 and up, multiple wives and children that come from there.

These past 6 days have changed my life.
I never in my wildest dreams could imagine the world that is out there beyond the small dusty desert town I grew up in with Novels, TV, and music all forbidden with the promise of burning in hell forever if you go against these rules.
Even Salt Lake City where I live now with its quiet Mormon families and family-friendly environment was a huge change to what I was used to.
So when I got the call on Saturday, September 10th from a women asking me if I would be interested in flying to New York to be on a talk show and tell the world my story I was beyond scared. Deep down I wanted to go so badly it hurt but I knew I wouldn't have the guts to go plus I could think of 30 excuses to not face my fears.
Everyone was adamant including my friend Tommy who was going, he begged me to come with him but I still found reasons not to.
How would I get work off? What will my family and friends think of me? What will I wear? How will i survive without a weeks pay?
That's when the woman (I'll call her MK) called me and offered to call my boss and assured me the show would cover lost wages and any clothing I would need

I thought "Wow, this is really happening"

She said she would call my boss.

Five minutes later I got a call back. My boss said I could go, no problems. The plane leaves on Wednesday.

What do I say now? I cant back out!  I was so scared I couldn't sleep

But that week in New York City has changed me. The things I got to see and experience were anything beyond what I could imagine I was overwhelmed with happiness and excitement and my confidence and zest for life is boosted higher than its ever been.

So this blog is going to be about me, my memories and experiences in the FLDS and my life now.

I just want to put my story out there for anyone who wants to know more about the inner workings of the FLDS and its for me as well, to remember and to move on.

My full name is Jessica Rohbock
My email is xpkjay@yahoo.com

(XPK means "Ex Plig Kid", that's what a lot of us go by now we are out)

Please email me any questions you have about me or the FLDS and I will write a blog about it the next day

Thanks for reading
-Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I just wanted to tell you that I hope you are doing well on the " outside". I have read your diaries and this blog, and I admire your courage to give the world a chance. I know all about the FLDS beliefs and I cannot imagine living that life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, glad to see this blog as I read your earlier one and hope you are doing well and oer coming your beginning with great self esteem. I hope that the past has been forgiven with all family members. How are your sibs doing? I understand your mom and dad are lovingly together. Where is Jennie now? Her kids? Continue to write you have great skills.

    ReplyDelete